I have tried to find all the dates I could but he was moved around a lot during his early training so some of the dates may not be very accurate.
Date of entry into Air service: 24th October 1917, age 17 (he lied about his age in order to join up).
Promotions: 24th October 1917 Probationary Flight Officer
His training to be a pilot started when he left school, Caterham, Surrey, and went to the Royal Naval College at Greenwich in October 1917.
- 24th October 1917 to 20th February 1918, Greenwich
- 22nd February to 24th March 1918, Vendôme, France
- 30th-31st March 1918, Calshot
- 31st March to 7th May 1918, Lee-on-Solent
- 7th June to 18th October 1918, Central Flying School, Upavon
- 18th October 1918 to 4th March 1919, Yate ((W)ARD attached to ARS for temporary duty as Camel pilot)
- 6th March based at Lee-on-Solent
- 30th November 1918, Whitney for temporary duty 3(W)
- 9th April 1919, 10 group (refresher course)
- 15th April 1919, HMS Pegasus
- 7th May 1919, Sailed for Archangel
- October 1919, returned from Archangel
- 11th November 1919, Demobbed